Take advantage of Palm Springs’ perfect fall weather conditions with this beautiful hidden gem, the Painted Canyon hike! With its breathtaking panoramic desert views, unbelievable variety of colors painting the rocks (hence the name), and an amazing slot canyon, this hike is sure to be the highlight of your vacation. Check out more information below on hiking the Painted Canyon!
There’s nothing better than getting outside and exploring the beauty of your surroundings, and the Painted Canyon hike, located in the Mecca Hills, is one of the best trails for people of all ages! Although there are sections that contain difficulties like climbing ladders and ropes, the best thing about hiking is that it can be customizable to your own liking. If you are up for a challenge, the best experience requires climbing ladders through the epic slot canyon and embracing that adventure. However, if you are hiking as a family, you can explore the more leveled out trails in the Mecca Hills that are suited for all skill levels.
To get a better idea of the Painted Canyon hike, here are some details that can help you determine how to get the most out of your experience:
Distance: about 4.5 miles roundtrip
Time: about 3 hours total
Like we mentioned above, hikes always have the ability to be customized based on the individual or group needs. Adjust the hike to fit your specific requirements.
Some other tips and tricks to help you out:
- Always bring water and sunscreen! No matter how long you plan to hike, the time of day, or weather always be sure to have your essentials on hand
- Download apps that will keep you on track and help locate the ladders, a great app to use is AllTrails
- Cell signals will most likely be out of reach, so make sure you screenshot maps and information that you can refer back to at any time
- Take a picture of the trail board so you can see a map of the trail at all times
- Follow the arrows along the trail that people have made easy to go along with
- Watch out for flash flood warnings, always be sure to check the current road conditions and weather before heading out
- Enjoy the amazing views and take advantage of every photo op!
Fall is one of the absolute best times to explore the hiking trails that Palm Springs has to offer, and the Painted Canyon hike is a must see! Don’t miss out on the amazing weather and book your stay at Vista Mirage Resort. We’ll see you on the trails!